Saturday, March 9, 2013


I’m guessing many of you, like me, have gone online to search for information, lessons, etc., only to find nothing, or at least nothing “useful” in the many results of your search.  Alan November starts Chapter 2 with an anecdotal story of watching a teacher intern search for information on a compass.  When the intern typed in compass, a number of “sponsored” sites came up, including REI, which is the link the subsequently clicked on.  If the intern had been looking to purchase a compass, REI would have been a good resource, but since she was looking for information about the workings of compasses, this link was not the best resource.  The point of November’s story was to introduce the topic of doing effective research online.  The chapter focuses on how to search most efficiently, to explain how search engines work, and to introduce online resources that might help students as they conduct research online.

November explains that framing is very important while conducting online research, which I’m sure many of us have found out through firsthand experience.  He finishes his story about the intern’s search for compass, by sharing that he explained to her that changing her search “…to the phrases ‘how to read a compass’ or ‘magnetic declination’” to find more effective results, and to ignore the “sponsored” results, which are the first few results that usually pop up when conducting an online search.

Other useful information November includes in this chapter is clarification of how search engines work.  He explains that they use “programs called robots or spiders..which roam the web and collect information [which] is pulled into a search engine database, where it is indexed into smaller chunks of information.  When you conduct a search, your keywords are match against the search engine database…Search engines do not search the entire Web at the moment you enter keywords into the search box.  They only search within their own databases.”  While, in hindsight, this makes sense, I had no idea that this was how search engines operated.  Later in the chapter, he relays that web savvy page creators can use the search engine process to their advantage, by including many key words, to get their page listed near the top of your search results, even when their site may not include the most reliable information.

Also included in the chapter was a brief explanation of some of the types of material on the web, including: electronic textbooks, podcasts, blogs, and directories.  November included some helpful search tools, which seem to be very “student-friendly” including:


Overall, this chapter helped clarify some workings of search engines, and included useful information and resources to help make the most of research online, something we all know can consume hours of our time!


7 comments:

  1. I've gotten burned by broad general searches before. I am so used to typing into google what I am looking for that sometimes I am not specific enough. This is a very important skill that students need to learn. They may end up on questionable websites if they don't narrow their search appropriately.

    A good friend of mine owns thousands of DVDs. A few years ago he decided to catalog it and wrote a program so that he can search by actor, director, etc. The coding was so involved it made my head spin. Sometimes I like to think of search engines as 'magic' and leave it at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tips are good reminders of how to avoid wasting time on internet searches. Noodletoools looks like a neat search tool for the classroom! Another good one is Google Scholar (except for the younger kids), for reliable quotes. I look forward to reading the next chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to your post. I have spent hours researching online for academic papers as well as helpful ideas for teaching. Before I read your post, I didn't know how search engines work. Thanks for sharing that info.

    I can see how this chapter would be really beneficial for teaching students how to complete Internet research. I have had college-level students type in topics in Google searches and library databases; a few times I had a student who misspelled the term he/she was looking for, and then concluded that there were no helpful articles available for the topic, all because he or she was not careful about spelling. Students can get very frustrated with these kinds of searches and give up quickly. Your post reminds me how important it is to help students understand how Internet research works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post hit a personal note as I have spend countless amounts of time tiring to due on line research for my grad classes. Over time I have become more savvy at the topics or words I use to do my searches. That is great that he included reference sites/search engines that would be appropriate for children to use. I often worry when my children are searching using google as sometimes not the most reliable sources pop up and at other times things can pop up that really are not appropriate for children. Once again your post just proves how important it is for parents and teachers to teach our children/students to use technology appropriately.

    I am looking forward to trying out the kid friendly site with my own children before using them in the classroom. Thanks for including them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an excellent reminder that we should not take for granted how much/little our students know about how to use technology, even if they are digital natives. This is especially important in the low socio-economic areas where many students don't have computers or safe ways to get to places (like libraries) that offer these technological access points. It would be folly to assume that our students know how to conduct effective searches on the internet. This is one of the things we try to incorporate in our gifted seminar classes. These students have research components to many of their projects, so we stress the use of using multiple sources and using technology in an effective manner.

    On a completely unrelated note, my wife wants me to ask where you got your dog? It looks like it may be the same breed mix as her dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your gifted seminar classes sound interesting. I think, that, unfortunately, the gifted program in my district does not do enough higher order activities/assignments with our gifted population.

      Our dog is a miniature Australian Shepard. He's pretty small for a mini, but not quite as small as a toy. Is this what your wife has?

      Delete
    2. My wife's dog is a mixed breed that we got from a rescue shelter, but she is definitely part Australian Shepherd. Here's a video of her if you'd like to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JQTDDooW78

      Delete