Through my course in digital reading and writing, I've become familiar with many theories about and examples of using digital media to enhance the learning experience of my students. I've been able to learn more about how students brains are perhaps wired differently in this day and age, and why there is a need, not just a desire, but a real need, to change the way we do and view some aspects of instruction to meet our students "in the middle." While many educators may be reluctant to use more digital media, or may be uncomfortable doing so because they themselves are unfamiliar with using technology, I now believe it is essential that we begin a shift in this direction if we are to motivate and inspire our students. After all, the jobs they hold in the future will surely incorporate technology we currently do not have. If we want students to have the confidence to navigate this new technology, do we not need to lead the way by example?
There are many resources to help educators become more familiar with ever-changing technology, such as Alan Novemeber's Web Literacy for Educators, which literally starts with the very basics, for those of us novices.
You bring up an interesting point in your first posting concerning the basics of web literacy as to whether or not to begin with the basics with our students who already have a grasp on navigating the internet. They may know how to type in an address or use google to find what they want on the internet but that does not mean they necessarily know what a safe address are or what to do when they come upon a site that is unsafe. So I think covering some basics is a good idea.
ReplyDeleteI thought about choosing this book, but then I chose another. I am happy to see that I will be able to learn about this book through your blog posts. I agree that the world is changing and educators need to change with it.
ReplyDeleteAnnemarie, I agree that students don't know what a safe addres is or what do with unsafe information, I just worry that they will be too bored if we start too basic. I guess the important thing would be to help them find value in the information.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to this blog. I certainly am of the "basics" category as far as knowing what I am doing with technology! Thanks
ReplyDelete